Clear all

Formants when pitch-shiting

10 Posts
2 Users
1 Likes
(@muevelo)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Does RipX try to detect and preserve formants when pitch-shifting notes in vocal layers?

(@dave)
Member Moderator

Yes, it does.

Muevelo reacted
ReplyQuote
(@muevelo)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

How does it know what is a vocal layer (or even vocal notes inside a layer which perhaps contains a mix of instruments and vocals)?

I mean, I can paste vocals into a rip and call the layer 'The Whatevers backing singers' or anything else, but Ripx doesn't have a 'type of instrument' property you can apply to a layer. So if it's automatically preserving formants, how does it know what to apply that processing to?

This post was modified 5 months ago by Muevelo

ReplyQuote
(@dave)
Member Moderator

When pitch-shifting notes, RipX DAW preserves the formants, regardless of which layers they are in. It's not necessary for them to be in a voice layer.

ReplyQuote
(@muevelo)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

@dave I'm confused by this. It's not possible to preserve the formants of an instrument if it doesn't know what the instrument is and doesn't have enough audio to extract a frequency response for the instrument.

Every instrument has different resonances/formants, right? A bunch of different instruments will end up on one stem sometimes and Ripx doesn't always know what this instrument is. If it preserves the formants of one instrument, it creates false formants in the timbre the other.

Even if it has only one instrument in a stem and takes it's best guess at what the instrument is, or just extracts the formants (basically a frequency response, right?) for the instrument, this is not going to work a lot of the time, as it would need to hear the full range of the instrument to know where the formants are and this isn't always going to happen. Also, for example a short section of vocals might contain only a few of the vocal formants as they appear in different vowel sounds, but other formants might not be heard at any point (i.e some vowel sounds will not be articulated in short vocal stems), especially if its the same vowel repeated or sung for a long time.

ReplyQuote
(@dave)
Member Moderator

I'm afraid we're unable to provide detailed information on how this works. Have you experenced any issues with it?

ReplyQuote
(@muevelo)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

It could be - until I know what it's doing, and more importantly WHEN it's doing it, I can't say for sure without listening to every stem with an ear out for any artifacts or undesired timbre changes and even then I might miss some.

If as you say above, RipX automatically preserves formants in any layer, this means it's preserving formants in layers and sections of music I potentially don't want them being preserved in, and there's no way to turn it off!

ReplyQuote
(@dave)
Member Moderator

It should always achieve the desired effect. Please let me know if you expererience any issues with it.

ReplyQuote
(@muevelo)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

The above IS this issue - users don't know when its attempting to preserve formants and when it's not. As explained, this is an issue because when using a audio manipulation program / DAW the user needs to know what the software is doing to your audio!

Answering this question doesn't require giving away secrets about how Ripx is processing this audio, but it's a reasonable question to ask WHAT it is is doing in terms of what changes are being made to the audio. This, I think, will be of concernt o anyone who users this software for manipulating pitches, especially as your answer above implies it applies to all instruments!

Could you please confirm if, as you say above, Ripx tries to preserve formants in ALL layers, or just those it somehow identifies as vocals, and how, as users, we can stop it from preserving formants (like is possible with most DAWs) or whether it is not possible to stop it doing this?

This post was modified 4 months ago by Muevelo

ReplyQuote
(@dave)
Member Moderator

If you change the pitch of audio, it always preserves the formants. You can use the Formant effect to compensate or increase the effect if required.

ReplyQuote
Share: